By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Lakeville was our family’s first vineyard in the Petaluma Gap region.
The first wine grapes in the Lakeville area of the Petalum Gap appellation are reputed to have been planted by William Bihler as early as 1878. Viticultural plantings topped three hundred acres in 1891 before succumbing to Phylloxera and Prohibition in the early 1900s.
The Sangiacomo Lakeville Ranch, however, had a different agricultural history. Part of the original Rancho Petaluma Land Grant issued to Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo in 1834, the Lakeville Ranch was sold in 1864 by Vallejo to J.R. Rose, a pioneer from Ohio. Rose bred Devonshire cattle on his ranch until he sold it to the Herzog dairy family in 1926.
In 1927 the Herzog family did a two-day cattle drive with horses to move a large herd from their dairy operation in San Anselmo to their new Lakeville property. A year later construction was completed on a new state-of-the-art dairy called Sleepy Hollow. Over the decades the Herzog family went on to achieve international acclaim as Holstein cattle breeders.
Almost sixty years passed before viticulture returned to the land. In the late.
1980s, phylloxera had taken hold throughout northern California. The Sangiacomo family needed more land in order to maintain a steady stream of grapes through the long replanting process of several older vineyards. When 400 acres of the Herzog dairy came up for sale in 1990, the family took the plunge to spread its wings beyond the Sonoma Valley and established a partnership with Domaine Chandon to purchase it.
Sleepy Hollow Dairy, 1938
In 1990 the Sangiacomos partnered with Will Nord and Domaine Chandon on the purchase and development of
the Lakeville Vineyard.
First planted in 1990, Lakeville Vineyard was one of the first to be replanted to vines during a re-birth of the Petaluma Gap region. Thirty years later, the Petaluma Gap region is widely recognized as producing some of the finest cool climate grapes in California. In 2012 the Sangiacomo family bought out the partnership from Domaine Chandon and is now the sole owner. The vineyard was fully replanted to updated clones and rootstocks in 2019. The vineyard is the source of fruit for more than a dozen wineries.
Certified Sustainable (CSWA)
Planted Acreage: 176
Varietals: Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
Appellations: Sonoma Coast and Petaluma Gap